How to Grill Meat Substitutes
Tofu, tempeh, veggie dogs, veggie sausage and veggie burgers all taste great when cooked on the grill!
- Meat substitutes tend to stick to the grill, so be sure to use a light brushing of canola oil to help prevent sticking. A non-stick grate or foil packets lightly coated with oil can also be helpful.
- When grilling tofu, use firm or extra-firm and press it prior to cooking to remove as much of the moisture as possible.
- Grill over a preheated grill (not too hot!) for 5-7 minutes per side. Place the tofu directly over moderately hot coals or use the indirect heat method. Rotate or move it to a cooler part of the grill during cooking as necessary to ensure that the outside isn't cooking too quickly.
- Try marinating your tofu in the fridge overnight. For quicker turnaround time, 30 minutes will get the job done.
- Burger and hot dog alternatives grill up fairly quickly over indirect heat. Follow instructions on the packaging, as ingredients and cooking times may vary.