It’s a sure bet most folks love potatoes, primarily French fries. Yet potatoes have so much more potential. Whether roasted, grated, sliced, diced, steamed, fried, mashed or smashed, potatoes make a delicious, versatile, filling and satisfying addition to breakfast, lunch or dinner. They are inexpensive and there are several varieties to choose from. Remember, when serving potatoes, the starchy varieties create full and fluffy dishes, such as whipped or mashed potatoes, or twice-baked potatoes. The less starchy varieties hold their shape well, lending themselves to stews, soups and salads. Here a general guide:
- Baking and frying: Try Russet (also known as Idaho) or Yukon Gold.
- Roasting: Try the less starchy red or white fingerlings, heirlooms, red potatoes or Yukon Gold.
- Salads: Red, purple, fingerlings, white potatoes and the waxy varieties hold up well.
- Mashing and smashing: Go with Russets, Yukon Gold or red potatoes.
- Steaming: All red and white varieties as well as Yukon Gold work well.
Embrace the broad nature of the posh potato with some of our favorite ideas and recipes:
- Use peeled potatoes to thicken soups, sauces, gravies and stocks instead of flour or cornstarch.
- Add diced potatoes to soups, stews and chowders. This delicious Cheddar, Corn and Potato Chowder is made with sharp cheddar cheese. This Cod Chowder is made with bacon and corn. Here’s a recipe for Borscht with Cabbage and Potatoes.
- Grate or dice leftover potatoes and make hash browns.
- Make Greek-style roast potatoes with olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Serve tuna, chicken, tofu or egg salad in a baked potato.
- Serve Potato Pancakes for breakfast. Don’t forget the applesauce and sour cream. For a nice variation, try these Zucchini Potato Latkes.
- Here’s a beautiful selection of mashed potato recipes:
- Sauté potatoes in ghee with curry for an Indian-style treat. Here’s an idea for Spicy Beef and Potato Curry.
- Stuff potato skins with cheese and veggies such as mushrooms and broccoli. These Pizza Potatoes are stuffed with marinara and mozzarella. These Irish Potato Bites are made with cheddar, ham and Irish butter. Or, try this Stuffed Potato Skins with Roasted Chicken, Onions and Sour Cream.
- Pair potatoes with fresh or dried herbs such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, savory, parsley and chives. Enjoy this recipe of Herbed New Potatoes.
- Potato salad is not just for summer picnics. Enjoy warm potato salad made with freshly steamed potato chunks, salad veggies such as carrots, spinach, and celery, and a favorite salad dressing such as buttermilk-ranch or vinaigrette. Check out or fabulous, tasty potato salads here.
- Love fries? Try our kid-friendly Baked Potato Fries.
- Scalloped Potatoes. ‘Nuff said.
Are you a fan of the humble spud? Got a favorite tip or recipe? Let us know.