“As long as there are mashed potatoes, I’ll be happy,” said a guest joining us for our Thanksgiving meal. He didn’t seem to care if the turkey was dry (it wasn’t) or the cranberry sauce was fresh (it was). He simply wanted creamy smooth mashed potatoes. And they were.
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone that entered. Congrats to Julie P., our randomly chosen winner!
As arguably the most important side dish of the season, everyone seems to have a preferred method to cook mashed potatoes. (Me? I cook the potatoes cold and don’t peel them until after they’re cooked.) There are tons of recipes out there, but many are tame and traditional. Potatoes. Butter. Milk. Salt. Pepper. When done right, those five staples are heavenly. But is something missing?
Some home cooks work to ensure potato perfection by adding secret ingredients. Sour cream? Roasted garlic? Blue cheese? Why not! Here are a few of our favorite recipes that move beyond the classic mashed potato recipe in the quest for a celestial side dish.
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes. Gruyère. Parmesan. Sour cream. Oh my!
- Mashed Potatoes with White Truffle Oil. If after seeing the words “truffle oil”, you’re still reading this and not headed to the store to make this recipe, I applaud you. Your will power is stronger than mine.
- Tahini-Garlic Mashed Potatoes. This dish is dairy free and full of flavor.
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips. Parsnips add flavor and texture to otherwise traditional mashed potatoes in this version.
- Miso and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Aged barley miso and roasted garlic turn this traditional side into vegan comfort food of the highest order.
Do you smash the everyday mash recipe? Share your secret ingredients in your not-so-humble mashed potatoes in the comments below by December 31, and you could win a $50 Whole Foods Market® gift card.
The fine print: No purchase necessary. Promotion ends December 31, 2012, 11:59 PM CDT. Must be a legal resident of the US or Canada (except in Quebec, where it is void) age 18 or older to participate. Taxes on prize, if applicable, are the responsibility of the winner. Employees of Whole Foods Market, Inc., are not eligible. Void where prohibited.