Of all the cruciferous vegetables, broccoli is the most popular — and with good reason! It’s a powerhouse of good nutrition and it’s versatile, easy to prepare and totally delicious. The benefits include:
- Fiber and antioxidants
- Looks like a little tree (important if you’re a kid)
- Makes going “green” a reality
But, let’s be blunt about broccoli: most folks just eat it on the side. You know, plain steamed broccoli or maybe broccoli with a little lemon or salt. Well that’s fine, but now is the perfect time to expand on the basic broccoli side dish and move into uncharted territory. In other words, shake up your broccoli routine!
Chop and add florets to soups, stews, stir-fries and casseroles.
- Broccoli, Rice and Cheese Casserole
- Asparagus and Broccoli Soup
- Miso Soup with Shrimp and Broccoli
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Add broccoli to Rustic Potato Leek Soup or Potato and Leek Soup with Brie Croutons.
- Brown Rice with Chicken and Broccoli
Try broccoli as a side dish topped with cheese, nuts or seeds, or drizzled with browned butter. It’s also great added to hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes for a “green” effect.
Broccoli makes salads shine. Try it in grain and pasta salads, or lightly cooked and added to leafy greens tossed with favorite dressing.
- Broccoli Salad with Walnuts and Currants
- Artichoke and Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Almond and Chili Dressing
Add broccoli to quiche, or stir into hot couscous or pasta.
- Tofu and Broccoli Quiche
- Crustless Broccoli and Onion Quiche
- Linguini with Mushrooms and Broccoli
- Cashew Noodles with Broccoli and Tofu
And try these ideas:
- Toss florets with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a hot oven.
- Make pesto with roasted broccoli, basil, garlic, Parmesan and olive oil.
- Next time you sauté mushrooms, throw in some chopped broccoli.
- You may not believe this, but sautéed broccoli is really good on pizza!
- Chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
And for more good stuff, check out Broccoli in Ten Ways.
Got a great broccoli recipe? Let me know.