Americans have certain things we like to eat at each meal of the day. In particular, breakfast is commonly centered around “breakfast foods” like pancakes, waffles, toast, eggs, bacon, cereal, yogurt and fruit. But have you ever thought about tossing veggies into the breakfast mix? Adding an assortment of vegetables to breakfast can turn this most important meal of the day into a delicious, fun and nutritious start.
In other parts of the world, breakfast is really no different than lunch or dinner. In Japan, I was served miso soup, fish and rice — and sometimes a fresh green salad! Just recently on a trip to Germany, I was blown away by the fabulous five-star breakfast buffets that included raw veggies, pickled veggies, assorted green salads, avocadoes, sliced tomatoes and onions, a variety of peppers and much more.
Here are some ideas to help you add a veggie boost to your breakfast menu:
- Add scallions, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus and colorful bell peppers to eggs, tofu, hash browns or other breakfast potatoes. I love these Soft Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms, Chives and Fleur de Sel.
- Hot soup or miso soup with vegetables and seasonings such as ginger, garlic, scallions, carrots and snow peas warms and nourishes the belly on a cold morning.
- Serve poached eggs over a fresh green salad or a bed of sautéed or steamed spinach. Or try a spinach omelet or a spinach crepe. If you’re spent on spinach, switch to kale, chard or other greens. They’re just as good in everything you love with spinach. Try Poached Eggs on Manchego Polenta Croutons with Spinach.
- Top brown rice with your choice of sautéed veggies. Add a splash of tamari and a dash of roasty-toasty sesame oil for an Asian-style treat. If you want more protein, add an egg, tempeh or tofu.
- Make breakfast tacos with eggs or tofu, broccoli, potatoes, onions and mushrooms, or these Tofu Breakfast Tacos (be sure to include a variety of suggested toppings).
- This Spanish Tortilla with Roasted Peppers and Spinach is similar to an omelet.
- Add greens to smoothies.
- Juice veggies along with fruit. Favorite juicing veggies are greens, carrots, beets, tomatoes (really a fruit), celery and cabbage. Spice it up with a little ginger or radish.
Vegetable quiche in a whole grain crust makes a great breakfast. Try a spinach, asparagus and onion quiche or a ham and bell pepper version. Or try one of these recipes:
- Mushroom and Gruyere Quiche
- Savory Vegetable-Arame Quiche
- Tofu and Broccoli Quiche
- Crustless Broccoli and Onion Quiche
- Spinach Quiche with Pine Nuts
Do you eat veggies for breakfast? Got a favorite idea or recipe? Let me know.