Happy Holidays Secret Ingredient Viewers!
It’s the season for great food and the Secret Ingredient is offering a chance to win a $25 Whole Foods Market gift card, so you can treat yourself to something special this holiday season. What’s the catch? It’s simple. We want to know what your favorite holiday party dish is and how it adds that special touch to your holiday celebrations.
For inspiration, check out this week’s Secret Ingredient episode featuring our Specialty Department and watch as host Mark Law shares his tips for creating an amazing antipasti platter—for ten guests— in a snap. Antipasti platters are one of our favorite holiday entertaining tricks and the secret to their success is the great selection of artisan cheeses, charcuterie meats, olives, rustic breads, crackers, nuts and classic cheese accompaniments available in Whole Foods Market’s Specialty Department.
After watching this week’s episode, post a comment with your favorite holiday party dish and you’ll be entered for a chance to win a $25 Whole Foods Market gift card.
Please post your comments between Monday, December 8th and midnight Wednesday, December 17th. The winner will be selected by The Secret Ingredient panel of judges and posted in The Whole Story on 12/22/2008.
Top Ten Tips for Successful Holiday Appetizer Parties
1. Plan for 2 to 3 ounces (each) of cheese and charcuterie meats per person.
2. Choose 4 to 5 cheeses. Feature cheeses made from one kind of milk, sourced from one region or create an eclectic mix of blue, cheddar, soft bloomy rind and fresh cheeses.
3. Choose a variety of olives and plan for about 3 to 4 olives per person.
4. Add variety with classic cheese accompaniments, such as:
• Marcona Almonds: Almonds lightly sautéed and dusted with sea salt.
• Walnuts in Lemon Honey: A heavenly addition to blue cheese.
• Membrillo: A quince paste from Spain. Delicious paired with Manchego.
5. Choose 2 or 3 types of breads and crackers. Have our bakery experts slice the bread for you.
6. Allow cheese to come to room temperature before serving for fullest flavor.
7. Ask our wine experts for wine pairing tips. Chill whites, pinks and bubbles and allow reds to breathe.
8. Each 750 ml bottle of wine yields 5 glasses. Plan on 2 to 3 glasses of wine per person.
9. Pick up a selection of 365 Everyday Value Sparkling Water and Italian Soda for non-drinkers and designated drivers.
10. Have small appetizer plates, napkins, serving utensils, cheese knives, corkscrews, ice and wine glasses on hand.