It’s that time of year again – when we examine our waistlines and lifestyle choices and set ambitious goals for the New Year. We’ve got lots of suggestions to share throughout the month of January, but we wanted to kick it all off with three very special ones we're focusing on and a way for you to join in! Does one of these intentions sound like something you'd like to do in the New Year?
- This is my year to…know where my food comes from.
- This is my year to…choose organic.
- This is my year to…share my plate.
- Know Where My Food Comes From: The Non-GMO Project is a non-profit collaboration of manufacturers, retailers, processors, distributors, farmers, seed companies and consumers. The organization’s belief is that everyone deserves an informed choice about whether or not to consume genetically modified products, and the mission is to ensure the sustained availability of non-GMO choices.
- Choose Organic: Mission Organic 2010 (The Organic Center) is an ambitious campaign with an exciting goal: to increase the current market for organic food from 3 percent to 10 percent by the end of 2010. When consumers demand more organic foods, farmers and food companies will supply this growing demand. The result is healthier people and a healthier planet.
- Share My Plate: Growing Power is a national nonprofit organization and land trust supporting people from diverse backgrounds, by providing equal access to healthy, safe and affordable food. Growing Power provides hands-on training, outreach and assistance in developing community food systems that help people grow, process, market and distribute food in a sustainable manner.