At Whole Foods Market® we are proud of the years of work we’ve put into developing our Premium Body Care® standards. In this first installment of a 3-part podcast series, Lecia Rand, category manager for Whole Foods Market™ and 365 Everyday Value® brand supplements and body care, talks about these top-tier standards which took years to develop and continue to be a worthy work in progress.
- Whole Foods Market developed our Premium Body Care® standards to help define what “natural” really means in body care products.
- There are a lot of products that claim to be natural, but there is no regulatory standard for making that claim.
- Our experts spent years examining ingredients according to the strictest criteria for safety, efficacy and impact on the environment.
- They have found more than 380 ingredients that do not meet our standard.
- We recently reformulated most of our 365 Everyday Value® body care to meet our Premium Body Care® standards. We made that change and kept our prices at an affordable level, which was the biggest challenge.
- 365 Everyday Value® shampoos and shower gels are made primarily with surfactants, ingredients that make them lather are difficult to make to meet our Premium Body Care® standards. This is because our Premium Body Care® standards only allow the gentlest lathering agents.
- These ingredients are more expensive and though they clean just as effectively, lather a bit differently – a challenge for formulation.
- 365 Everyday Value® lotions cannot use ingredients like polyethylene glycol or other ingredients derived primarily from petroleum.
- Alternatives to the ingredients in lotions are also more expensive.
- 365 Everyday Value® shampoos, conditioners and shower gels with wonderful scents like lavender and fresh mint.
- Whole Foods Market™ USDA Organic Castile soaps that are rich-lathering, all purpose liquid soaps for bath and household use.
- A line of Whole Foods Market™ lip balms made with organic oils that will soon be USDA organic.
- Whole Foods Market™ organic bar soaps made in France.
- Whole Foods Market will work closely with our vendors to find new and unique ingredients that meet the premium body care standard.
- We hope to see more choices for ingredients that are effective and safe as our standard helps to shape the market for these products.