In honor of Cinco de Mayo (the fifth of May), we’re sharing recipes inspired by Mexico’s savory cuisine. Need a reminder on the significance of this date? It’s the day Mexicans commemorate their 1862 defeat of the French army in the Battle of Puebla. In the U.S., Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture, history and, of course, food! Whether you’re planning to celebrate the holiday or not, it’s a great occasion to try out some new recipes and start thinking about summertime foods. Be sure to stop by our stores for great ideas, and check out some of our favorites for a fun and casual Cinco de Mayo celebration. Get the festivities started with some salsa, guacamole and salads:
- Who can resist a bowl of fresh homemade salsa? Better make a double batch.
- Try Blackened Jalapeno and Avocado Sauce with chips or spoon it over grilled meats.
- Put a twist on the standard guac by making our Edamame Guacamole.
- Try a fresh Jicama Salad with Cucumber and Lime alongside grilled fish or beans and rice.
- Spoon Sweet Corn and Black Bean Salad onto chips or into tacos, or serve it atop a big green salad.
- Use your stovetop or the grill to make Easy Halibut Tacos with Creamy Corn and Tomato Slaw.
- Leave the work to the guests! Set up the fixings for a burrito bar and then relax while your guests make their own dinners.
- Fire up the grill and enjoy Grilled Veggie Tostadas.
- Dress up Quick and Easy Pork and Pineapple Tacos with your favorite salsa and serve ‘em alongside rice and beans.
- Get ahead with Shrimp Tacos with Fresh Pineapple Salsa: marinate the shrimp overnight and make the salsa ahead of time, then quickly assemble the tacos when you’re ready to eat.
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken and use the meat to throw together Quick Chicken Tostadas.
- Got a vegetarian crowd? Everyone will love these Tofu and Black Bean Tacos.
- Tilapia Tostadas are another easy-to-assemble choice.