The countdown to Thanksgiving is on, and there’s still plenty of time to finalize your menu. Have you considered salads? They make a fresh complement to some of the richer flavors typically on the Thanksgiving table. Plan to include several on your menu. If you’re the type of cook who likes to focus all your cooking energy on the main course, stop by our in-store holiday table to find out what salads are available, or ask guests to bring salads. Salads travel well and most don’t require heating, so load your table up with salads and keep precious oven space open for the turkey, stuffing, pies and other goodies. And, if you’re a guest at a holiday table, a salad is a wonderful and convenient dish to bring. Many salads do best when they’re dressed just before serving, especially those featuring salad greens, so check the recipe for assembly info. Happy tossing! Green Salads Consider starting your holiday feast with a first course of green salad. Take your pick from some of our favorites.
• Kale Waldorf Salad
• Thanksgiving Green Salad
• Arugula and Fennel Salad
• Spinach Salad with Aduki Beans and Clementine Vinaigrette
Grain Salads Hearty grains + seasonal ingredients = very satisfying salads.
• Chestnut and Wheat Berry Salad
• Fall Harvest Couscous
• Warm Millet Salad with Brussels Sprouts, Creamed Mushrooms and Sage
• Cranberry Quinoa Salad
• Wild Rice Salad with Oranges and Currants
• Farro, Apple and Pecan Salad
• Wheat Berry Salad with Raisins, Beets and Citrus Vinaigrette
Squash Salads Celebrate seasonal squash by making it the main ingredient in a salad.
• Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
• Arugula Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Prosciutto
• Butternut Squash Panzanella Salad
Salads Featuring Fruit Apples, pears, citrus fruits and pomegranates are all in season, and their juicy sweetness is a welcome flavor in salads.
• Fennel and Tangerine Salad
• Radicchio, Fennel and Pear Salad
• Beet Salad with Oranges and Romaine
• Apple, Ham and Watercress Salad
• Coconut Ambrosia
• Pomegranate, Green Bean and Jicama Salad
Salads Starring Cheese Cheese adds a savory richness to salads.
• Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
• Gorgonzola and Dried Cherry Salad
• Le Gruyère Salad with Apples and Cider Vinaigrette
• Salad with Red Grapes and Feta
What are your favorite salads for the Thanksgiving table?