Let’s admit it, we all love to snack. And despite what some folks may say about not eating in between meals, inevitably that snack attack will sneak up when I least expect it – along with the urge for something crunchy or sweet. They come on strong, usually in the afternoon when I need a little boost to keep me going until my evening meal. Snacking often times gets a bad rap, but I think that the negativity associated with snacking is more about what you’re snacking on and less about the act of snacking.
Next time you’re on the run and the urge to snack hits, try grabbing some of your favorite fruits or chopped veggies. Both are easy, simple and will leave you feeling alive rather than sluggish from those fried, salty, sugar packed options. Better yet, plan ahead and try one of these tasty Health Starts Here™ snack recipes.
These snacks will give you a boost of nutrients without sending you into crash-mode.
- Black Bean Hummus Serve this Mexican-inspired hummus with raw veggies or tortilla chips for dipping, or spread it on sandwiches and wraps, too.
- Carrot Cashew Spread This spread is a delicious snack on toasted slices of Health Starts Here whole grain bread, instead of on crackers.
- Celery Bits with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Cool crunchy celery is the perfect carrier for delicious, dairy-free roasted red pepper topping.
- Banana-Cocoa Snack Cake Enjoy a thick square of this cake with coffee in the morning, tea at night or as a mid-day snack on the go. The cake's sweetness comes from bananas and dates, and its richness comes from light coconut milk.
- Apple Cinnamon Oat Squares These tasty squares are simple to make ahead and keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator so you can grab and go throughout the week.
Find more Health Starts Here recipes. What is your favorite nutrient dense way to soothe a snack attack?