Pregnancy is a time for celebration, but the mountains of advice that accompany it can create confusion amidst your joy. Listen in for solid recommendations that support not only mom and baby’s wellbeing, but also the environment. Anna Getty is a green lifestyle educator, mother and founder of Pregnancy Awareness Month.
Motherhood actually begins before conception:
- Doing a cleanse before pregnancy is a great way start this journey.
- Strengthening the body with nutritious food, exercise and rest can help with a healthy pregnancy and post-partum.
Making healthy changes can benefit the mother, the baby, and the environment:
- Eat fresh organic, seasonal foods.
- Invest in a water filter and eliminate plastic water bottle use.
- Take a high quality prenatal multivitamin.
- Supplement with DHA, which has been shown to help with a baby’s brain development.
The topics pregnant women are most often confused about include:
- Many women are confused about food and use pregnancy as an excuse to eat sugar and junk food. Eating well is paramount to a healthy pregnancy and baby.
- Women are sometimes told not to trust themselves. We have been giving birth for 200,000 years and need to stay empowered.
Pregnancy Awareness Month (PAM) aims to empower women:
- PAM is a month long educational campaign in May aimed at empowering women as they move into pregnancy.
- There are four initiatives: education, exercise, nutrition & wellness, and nurturing.