One of our favorite summer pastimes is backyard grilling! Ripe summer produce, juicy burgers, delicious kabobs, fresh seafood and hearty steaks all stack up as summer favorites with a little fire, some seasonings and an attentive grill master. Look no further than Whole Foods Market for the freshest and seasonally best foods at peak perfection and for strategies to help you make the most of the season both indoors and out.
Check out these summer-friendly tips to backyard grilling:
Build A Better Burger
Top Tips for the Grill Master
- Better beef makes a better burger. Ours is ground fresh in-house and seasoned with only natural ingredients.
- Go beyond beef and try a burger made with turkey, lamb, pork or seafood.
- Try healthier whole-grain buns with no artificial preservatives.
- Bring the flavor up a notch with a great melting cheese, such as aged Grafton classic reserve Cheddar, Havarti with dill or a Brie-style cheese.
- Dress it up with condiments – we only sell those that meet our Quality Standards for no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
Light your Eco-Friendly Fire
- Clean your grill thoroughly with a grill brush before each use.
- Oil the rack prior to heating by soaking a clean rag with high-heat oil and wiping grates.
- Preheat a gas grill for 15 minutes; allow a charcoal grill to burn for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Do your prep work ahead of time, then set up a work station near the grill to make your ingredients easily accessible.
- Have a clean sheet tray or platter ready for resting cooked items as you remove them from the grill.
At Whole Foods Market, our hardwood charcoal made from oak, maple and hickory wood trimmings is easy to light, and burns hotter and cleaner than conventional varieties. Use a chimney starter as an alternative to lighter fuel.
Summer Sizzle: Meat & Poultry
Our beef, chicken and pork are now evaluated according to the Global Animal Partnership 5-Step™ Animal Welfare Rating
. (To learn more, download our brochure
.) And, as always, all of our meat and poultry comes from animals that meet our standards for no antibiotics, ever. Let our butchers help make summer easier with cooking suggestions, custom cuts, marinating and seasoning.
The Best Catch for Your Grill
You can always count on fresh seafood
at Whole Foods Market that has been raised or caught using environmentally responsible practices. We uphold the highest standards in the industry
! Wild-caught seafood is certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) or utilizes the rating system of the Monterey Bay Aquarium or Blue Ocean Institute
Farm-raised seafood meets our strict Aquaculture Standards
, which prohibit antibiotics and added hormones, while supporting healthy ecosystems. What a catch for your grill!
In a Hurry? Just Add Heat!
Choose from our selection of grill-ready foods in the meat and seafood departments. All of them are freshly prepared with marinades and seasonings that meet our strict Quality Standards
. All you add is the grill!
Some grill-friendly choices include:
- Chicken, pork, beef, lamb and seafood kabobs
- Several varieties of pre-seasoned ground beef patties
- House-made fresh sausages
- Salmon burgers and crab cakes
For more summer solutions to backyard grilling, we’ve prepared our Guide to Grilling
as a great online resource filled with grilling techniques and suggestions.