Summer fun for kids doesn’t have to involve a costly theme park or pockets full of tokens. In the latest issue of The Whole Deal value guide, we’ve got lots of ideas for a summer o’ savings including some good old-fashioned, food-fun ideas that will make your kids and your wallet happy. So don’t stop at melting marshmallows in the campfire; go ahead, let the kids play with their food. Here’s how:
- Watermelon seed spitting contest – the one time it’s okay to spit!
- Potato sack races – old pillow cases work for kids’ little legs as they race to the finish line.
- Corn toss – tie un-popped popcorn into tube socks for tossing into pots and pans.
- Pie walk – like a cake walk or musical chairs; great for neighborhood potluck parties and the winner gets the pie!
- Growing fun – plant radish seeds or beans, and water daily. They both sprout quickly!
- Dance party – crank up Blueberry Hill and dance the Mashed Potato or the Funky Chicken. Be sure to take photos or video.
- Make smiles – kids decorate their own cupcakes with colorful berries.