Backyard barbecues can be one of summer’s most fun and flavorful ways to celebrate the season with family and friends. Unfortunately, entertaining can be costly. But, with a little planning, you don’t have to skip out on good times even when sticking to a budget. In the latest issue of The Whole Deal, we’ve turned up the heat on money-saving ideas so you can entertain with ease without getting burned. Here’s our game plan for a BBQ Bash for 8 that makes it easy to plan a grill-side bash at less than $10 per person. Download the menu, shopping list and step-by-step plan here.
- Alfresco Dip with Crostini
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Southwestern Couscous Salad
- Simple Green Salad
- 365 Everyday Value® Frozen Fruit Bars (A Sure Deal!)
- Fresh Seasonal Watermelon
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:Be sure to check your pantry and fridge before you shop!
- 1 whole watermelon
- 2 ears corn
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 yellow squash
- 3 zucchini
- 2 eggplants
- 2 green bell peppers
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 4 limes
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch tarragon, thyme and/or basil
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 (16 oz) bottle 365 Everyday Value® Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 (6 oz) bag Whole Foods Market™ Crostini (A Sure Deal!)
- 1 cup pitted green olives (from 1 can or about 30 at olive bar)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- chili powder
- crushed red chile pepper
- fine sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tub 365 Everyday Value® Organic Sour Cream (A Sure Deal!)
- 2 packages 365 Everyday Value® Frozen Fruit Bars
HERE’S HOW TO DO IT:
Several hours ahead:
- Make the Southwestern Couscous Salad and refrigerate.
- Prepare the vegetables for Grilled Summer Vegetables and refrigerate.
- Cut each chicken thigh into 3 or 4 pieces, toss with half the balsamic vinaigrette, skewer and refrigerate.
- Chill the watermelon, whole or cut into serving pieces.
- Make Alfresco Dip
- Make the salad by tossing torn lettuce, sliced cucumber and red onion with some of the balsamic vinaigrette remaining in the bottle.
- Heat the grill.
- Cook the Grilled Summer Vegetables recipe.
- Grill the chicken kabobs; remove chicken from skewers.
- Transfer the Southwestern Couscous Salad to one or two large platters.
- Arrange the grilled vegetables and chicken over the couscous.
- Gather your food and your peeps and chow down!