Although we believe most seasons are just right for great pairings of food and wine, summer just seems to offer endless opportunities for matching lighter, refreshing wines with simple, easy-to-prepare foods. With the amazing selection of this year’s Summer Top Ten Wines
, it’s easy to find delicious counterparts that complement these top-notch summer wines at easy-to-swallow prices.
Here are some of our favorite summer companions for white wines included in our Summer Top Ten Wines
, all less than $20. Stay tuned – we’ll share our summer red wine pairings and recipes on this blog July 28.
Elios Mediterranean White
– From Greece, this crisp, fresh, dry white wine has mineral notes and ripe citrus on the nose. Perfect for sipping on the porch or served at brunch. With its tangy-sweet, citrus-honey marinade, Grilled Tempeh Kabobs
really highlight the citrus notes of the Elios. Chicken or seafood also work well in the recipe and the pairing.
Innovac!ón Torrontés Pinot Grigio
– Made in Argentina from sustainably farmed grapes, this liter-size value bottle is irresistibly floral and tart. The hints of lush peach and apricot pair perfectly with creamy pasta dishes or roasted chicken. Farfalle with Roasted Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
brings together both for an appealing summer sensation. Serve with grilled or roasted vegetables on the side.
Allan Scott Millstone Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
– Made with organically grown grapes, this New Zealand white wine is elegant, crisp and tastes of ripe grapefruit and lemon sherbet. Its plump, well-integrated oak brings out the best in fish tacos, such as Halibut Tacos with Creamy Corn and Tomoto Slaw
. The fresh corn slaw in the tacos is a true taste of summer!
Vega Sindoa Viura Chardonnay
– This Spanish favorite is full-bodied with crisp acidity like a bright green apple and delicate floral aromas. With a fresh and dry finish along with a touch of mintiness on the nose, this white wine makes for a great pairing with pizza. Don’t miss the chance to try grilling pizza with this recipe for Grilled Pizza with Spinach and Ricotta Salata
which takes advantage of the summer bounty of tomatoes.
– A classic Sonoma County Chardonnay with caramel apple and pear notes and a touch of buttery popcorn on the finish. Excellent balance and a seductive golden color make any simple picnic foods, especially fried chicken, taste like a meal fit for royalty. Serve this Oven-Fried Chicken
either hot or cold and for a real summer treat, pack it in a basket to serve in the park, beachside or even the backyard!
Presto Moscato Dolce
– This delicate, sweet summer sparkler from Italy has honeyed peach and apricot flavors and it’s just right for sipping or drizzled over fruit. This delicious sparkling wine is luscious at brunch, with vegetables and hollandaise or as a refreshing finisher with a light berry dessert. Strawberry Fool
, a classic English dessert made by folding pureed fruit into whipped cream is a summer dream for the Presto Moscato Dolce.
Give these summer-perfect food and wine pairings a try and let us know what you think!