So juicy and sweet, what better way to celebrate what’s left of summer than with some cold slices of organic cantaloupe? We’ll have it on sale this Friday at two for $3. (It’s a one day only sale, so make sure you stop in on Friday, August 19th to get your share of organic cantaloupe! Most of our stores do not offer rain checks for these one day sales.) $x.xx = amount of savings will vary How do you pick the best cantaloupe? (Hint: no thumping!) Here are some tips to follow:
- Judge ripeness by pressing lightly on the end opposite the stem — ripe cantaloupe will yield to the pressure of your finger.
- Choose cantaloupe that is heavy for its size and free of bruises or other damage.
- Check the navel (stem end) for excessive softness and/or mold.
- Add a little sugar, lemon, ice and mint or basil and freeze into a refreshing granita.
- A spiced poppy seed dressing adds flavor to a mix of papaya, cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries and more in this Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing.
- Blend cantaloupe into morning smoothies with bananas and orange juice, yogurt or vanilla almond milk.
- Throw cantaloupe on the grill with honeydew and pineapple on skewers, then brush on a tangy-sweet glaze in this recipe for Grilled Fruit Kebobs with Pineapple-Mint Glaze.
- Puree cantaloupe with a little lime juice, honey and Greek yogurt and pour into popsicle molds for a frozen cantaloupe snack. Try adding cherries or strawberries before freezing too!
- A two-ingredient appetizer like Fresh Cantaloupe with Prosciutto balances cantaloupe’s sweetness with deliciously savory prosciutto. Try making these into individual bites with skewers for parties.
- Blend and strain cantaloupe and use the juice to make agua fresca, a refreshing drink made with water and limes. Use cantaloupe instead of watermelon in this Watermelon Agua Fresca.
- Use your favorite recipe for pico de gallo and substitute cantaloupe for tomato to create a salsa that mixes sweet with heat. Serve with tortilla chips, fish or chicken.