Delicious This Week: Organic Raspberries
As a child, I tried to eat raspberries by picking off each tiny bubble (or as I know them now, drupelets), carefully and slowly making quite a mess in the process! Eventually I wised up and figured out it was much easier to enjoy raspberries by popping them whole into my mouth. Nowadays I pity the fool who stands between me and a carton of organic raspberries — I’ll eat them so fast you won’t even know what happened!
When I eat organic raspberries, I’m glad to know that I’m eating fruit grown without harmful chemicals like toxic pesticides. I get to enjoy the pure sweetness from the fruit, whether it’s drupelet by drupelet or by the handful.
Here are a few recipes and ideas so you can enjoy the tangy-sweet flavor of raspberries in many different ways:
- Raspberries are an elegant topping for just about any kind of salad. Try pairing creamy, mild cheeses with sweet-tart raspberries for flavor-filled salads that are far from the ordinary, like this Raspberry-Walnut Salad with Mt Tam Cheese. Double the berry flavor by combining raspberries and strawberries to make this Berry Goat Cheese Salad.
- Try crushing and blending fresh raspberries with champagne vinegar, pepper and olive oil for a four-ingredient fresh raspberry vinaigrette. For another take on raspberry vinaigrette, try this recipe for Salmon with Raspberry Vinaigrette, which balances the rich flavor of salmon with a bit of sweetness and light acidity.
- Raspberries, cream and a touch of sweetness make the perfect Berry Fool, a classic English dessert made from folding puréed fruit into whipped cream like this recipe for Strawberry Fool – try swapping out the strawberries for raspberries. For a similar vegan dessert, try this recipe for Raspberry Mousse.
- Enjoy sweet, warm smells in your kitchen when you bake this Raspberry-Almond Crumble that combines coconut flour, almonds, ground cardamom and cinnamon in its tasty topping.
- Dark chocolate and raspberries were made for each other. Try this recipe for a Bittersweet Chocolate Tart with Raspberries to make a stunning dessert festive enough to celebrate anything from a birthday to a Tuesday evening!
Here are some other ways you can incorporate delicious raspberries in your day:
- If you’re trying to blend more greens like spinach and kale into your daily smoothie, try adding frozen raspberries for sweetness.
- Drop a few raspberries in a glass of chilled sparkling or white wine before serving for a pretty and unfussy garnish. The raspberries left at the end of your glass aren’t bad either!
- An easy dessert topping is as easy as macerating, or soaking, raspberries in balsamic vinegar for about 15 minutes (or overnight), then spooning over ice cream, cake or panna cotta.
- Layer raspberries, granola and yogurt for a delightful breakfast parfait.
- Raspberry lemonade (perhaps with a touch of spirits for the adults) is perfect for sipping. Simply crush a few raspberries at the bottom of the glass, pour on lemonade, add ice and stir.
- To perk up a typical lunch, try a few raspberries pressed between layers of turkey and Swiss on toast with arugula (don’t forget the Dijon mustard!).
Inspired enough to don an organic raspberry beret? What deliciousness have you dreamed up with organic raspberries? Leave a comment below to let us know!