You say potato, we say endless possibilities. With white, yellow, red, purple and even sweet potatoes to choose from, there are countless ways to cook these terrific tubers! Here we’ve collected ten of our favorite ways to enjoy potatoes with additional recipes and ideas to inspire you. Remember to store potatoes in a cool, dark place and keep them separate from onions as they’ll both deteriorate more quickly if stored together.
- Mashed — At the holiday table or on a crisp fall day, there’s nothing better than a bowl of creamy mashed potatoes. Try our newest recipe for Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gruyère and Parmesan or one of these twists on the classic: Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips or Miso and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
- Baked — Aside from a good ol’ baked potato with your favorite toppings, baked potato fries are a healthier way to enjoy one of our favorite treats. We’ve got both Baked Potato Fries and Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Serve with a variety of fun dipping sauces like chipotle ketchup, lemon-garlic mayonnaise or wasabi mustard.
- Roasted — What’s great about roasted potatoes is how golden and crispy they get. Try one of these for a flavorful side dish everyone will love: Crispy Oven-Roasted Potatoes, Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Macadamia Nuts, or Roasted Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Pecan Drizzle.
- Stewed — Cubed red potatoes absorb the rich flavors of this Ethiopian-Style Chickpea Stew. You can also add potatoes to your favorite chili recipe.
- Shredded — Potato pancakes can be great as a breakfast, side dish or bite-sized hors d’oeuvres like these Mini Potato-Carrot Pancakes with Festive Sour Cream. You can’t go wrong with our basic recipes for Simple Potato Pancakes or Sweet Potato Pancakes. Experiment with toppings like apple chutney or Greek yogurt.
- In Soup — Potatoes are often the supporting actor in the best soups providing a creamy and thick texture, but they have the starring role in this Potato and Leek Soup with Brie Croutons.
- In a Gratin — Guests are always impressed with the thin and tender layers of a rich potato gratin. Show them off in the traditional Gruyère Potato Gratin or give them a modern twist with our Celery Root and Potato Gratin.
- In a Skillet — Sliced or cubed, potatoes are a great addition to egg dishes like frittatas. Our Potato Leek Frittata is a take on the classic flavor combo and this authentic Spanish Tortilla with Roasted Peppers and Spinach dresses up any brunch.
- As an Appetizer — Bite-sized red potatoes are perfect for tasty little hors d’oeuvres. Try our Irish Cheddar Potato Bites topped with cheddar, ham and yogurt or top some tiny potatoes with smoked salmon, crème fraiche and fresh dill for a sophisticated twist.
- As a Salad — Potato salad is not just for summer barbecues. A warm German-style potato salad is delicious in our Ale-Braised Bratwurst recipe or serve our Dijon Vinaigrette Potato Salad with braised pork shoulder or a roasted chicken.