Salads are a tasty, easy meal solution no matter what the time of year.
Preparing delicious salads, even warm salads, in winter is as simple as knowing what's in season.
This time of year switch to dark leafy greens, cold-weather vegetables like broccoli, beets and squash and seasonal fruits like pears and citrus. Add roasted root vegetables and more flavorful dressings to balance the heartier tastes and textures.
For a full-meal salad, finish with cooked beans, meat or seafood and a bit of flavorful cheese or toasted nuts.
Ready to put it all together? Start with a mix of greens such as baby kale, spinach, arugula, Napa cabbage or your favorite salad greens.
Add one of these combinations and toss with your favorite dressing (here’s how to make easy dressing at home):
• Radishes, chives, citrus segments
• Bean sprouts, ginger, green onions, almonds
• Red peppers, corn, chiles, lime
• Radicchio, garlic, lemon, watercress
• Roasted turnips, sliced apples, tarragon vinaigrette
• Carrots, fennel, walnuts, citrus segments
• Roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, chives
• Roasted Brussels sprouts, sliced apples, pine nuts
• Roasted butternut squash, pears, pecans
• Watercress, beets (roasted or grated raw), citrus segments
That's just the start. From various leafy greens and root vegetables to fruits and nuts, experimentation is easy. We've gathered twelve tasty winter salad recipes that use fresh, seasonal ingredients to inspire you.
Of course, there are a ton of other salad combinations out there so let’s hear them! What's your signature salad this winter?