While preparing food can be fun, there are plenty of times when you’re in a crunch and need to get something on the table fast.
For a lot of folks, that means drive-thru, take-out or dinner from a box. Unfortunately, many of these “fast” foods contain artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings, preservatives and hydrogenated fats. Instead, try turning to pre-cut fruits and fresh salsas made in-house, as well as our abundant salad bar choices, to help you get meals on the table quickly without sacrificing good health.
Here are some favorite short-cuts:
- Use pre-cut fruit such as pineapple, mango and papaya, kiwi and melon, or washed and ready-to-eat berries for a quick smoothie for breakfast, a fast fruit salad for lunch or a colorful dessert after dinner.
- Try our delicious, freshly made salsa, salsa fresca and pico de gallo to top baked potatoes, brown rice and beans, scrambled eggs or quesadillas.
- Grab a container of hummus and use it as a dip or a topping for baked potatoes, cooked grains, sautéed veggies and baked tofu or tempeh.
- Guacamole is not just for chips! Try it over fish, chicken, beef, stir-fries, seasoned tofu and tempeh, baked potatoes or beans and rice.
- Use guacamole and/or hummus as a salad dressing and a sandwich spread…great with plenty of piled-high veggies!
- Stop by our in-store salad bar for a ready-to-eat, ready-to-go wide selection of greens, grains, beans, fruits, cheeses, tofu, and much, much more. Perfect when you want healthy food on the table fast! It’s washed and fork-ready, and clean-up’s a cinch.
- Prepared salsa can be the perfect topping for grilled, broiled or baked fish or chicken. Here are a few recipes that you can easily adapt to use prepared salsa:
- This Baked Salmon with Spinach has a strawberry salsa that’s easily replaced with prepared mango salsa.
- This Barbecue Glazed Salmon is wonderful with spicy tomato salsa or topped with Pico de Gallo.
- This recipe for Chicken Breasts with Grilled Pineapple and Tomatillo Salsa works great with pre-cut pineapple added to a favorite prepared salsa.
Here are a few meal ideas comprised solely of prepared foods that you can pick up in our stores.
You’ll find some items in Prepared Foods, some in Produce and some on the salad bar. Selections vary, so swap things out for what’s available at your store:
Tofu Dinner: Tofu, Caesar salad with dressing, cooked quinoa, guacamole, sliced fresh kiwi fruit
Fish Dinner: Grilled or baked salmon, mango salsa, rice dish, baby spinach salad, fresh mixed berries
Tempeh Dinner: Grilled tempeh, brown or wild rice pilaf, black bean salsa, salad bar fresh green salad, pre-cut mango and strawberries
Got a favorite time-saver for a quick delicious meal? Let me know.