Are you fired up for backyard barbeques but fearful of your budget going up in smoke? It’s easy to get the fire going without burning a hole in your pocket.
6 Money-Saving Tips
Whether it’s dinner for two or a backyard bash for 20, you can enjoy the season’s best flavors on a budget. Here are six of our favorite tips.
1. Maximum meat for the moolah. Look for better pricing on lesser-known or leaner cuts such as boneless sirloin, flat-iron steak or skirt steak. Grill it hot and fast, then slice thin.
2. Go wild. Spotlight wild-caught Alaska salmon without overspending by serving seared chunks over a salad such as Mediterranean Orzo Salad.
3. Grilled goodness. Fill plates with grilled summer squash, corn, peppers and onions. Grilling intensifies their natural sweetness.
4. Spread the love. Go organic in your condiment cabinet without going broke by shopping for 365 Everyday Value® options. (Check out our shopping list below!)
5. Fruity finish. Use your fire to its finish by throwing fruit on the grill. Serve grilled peaches with organic ice cream or drizzle pineapple with honey before grilling.
6. Befriend your butcher and fishmonger. They’ll share tips for the right cuts at the right price and other ways to save.
Fire Up Flavor
Saving money shouldn’t mean skimping on taste – especially when summer offers some of the year’s best bites. Here are three budget recipes that make the most of the season. Bonus: they each have only five ingredients!
- Grilled Sausage and Pepper Salad. Move beyond the bun and enjoy grilled, house-made Italian sausage, feta cheese and sweet, roasted peppers in a green salad that is ideal for summertime.
- Beef Franks Mini Kabobs. Adults and kids alike will fall for these summer skewers, threaded with fresh zucchini, cherry tomatoes and beef hot dogs and basted with honey mustard.
- Chicken Burgers with Goat Milk Brie. Topped with creamy goat milk Brie, juicy chicken burgers have never tasted better.
Yes, you can fill your plate (and your invite list!) without forking over too much time or money. Here’s our shopping list for 365 Everyday Value® grilling season basics. They meet all our quality standards, meaning no hydrogenated fats and artificial preservatives, colors and flavors, ever.
- Organic Yellow Mustard
- Organic Dijon Mustard
- Organic German Mustard
- Organic Tomato Ketchup
- Organic Pickles
- Organic Relish
- Organic 100% Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Organic Tortilla Chips
- Organic Popcorn
- Organic Potato Chips
- Organic Ice Cream
- Real Hardwood Charcoal
- Aluminum Foil from 100% Recycled Aluminum
- 100% Recycled Dinner Napkins
What’s your favorite way to save on summer grilling?
Originally published May 2013. Updated May 2015.