Lindsay Robison is on the global public relations team and manages the @wholefoodsPR Twitter handle. A foodie at heart, in her free time she loves to cook, eat, read food magazines and write in her food blog, Apron Adventures.
Did you know that April is Grilled Cheese Month? While I think any time is a good time for grilled cheese, a whole month devoted to this comfort-food classic is something to be celebrated.
Of course, there’s the classic combo of cheddar and buttered sandwich-bread, but a month of grilled cheese means you probably need to expand up your repertoire of melty goodness.
For starters, here’s a list of fancier flavor combinations from an expert -- our Global Cheese Buyer, Cathy Strange:
- Sottocenere: This Italian cheese has an amazing texture. And with truffles in it, you’ll be living in flavor city! Enjoy this on a fresh loaf of ciabatta bread.
- Robusto with mushrooms and tomatoes: For a more grown-up palate, this cheese has earthy, nutty flavors that brighten up with the addition of tomatoes sandwiched between slices of rye.
- Taleggio with grilled cipollini onions and balsamic vinegar: This cheese has an amazing texture, and the onions have a sweet flavor that is accented by vinegar.
- Wellspring Goat Brie with Escarole: The goat cheese provides a tangy flavor and creamy texture, which contrasts with the light crunch of escarole. Looking for another flavor dimension? Sprinkle on some toasted pine nuts and serve on a dense bread like our Seeduction loaf.
- Morbier: This washed-rind cheese shines on its own. The spicy flavor and super creamy, dense texture oozes satisfaction.
- Bijou with butter and Roma tomatoes: Grab a beret and pour yourself a glass of vino and you’ll be ready to go with this French twist on grilled cheese. Simply toast it up on a country baguette
- Torta La Serena with steamed shrimp: Enjoy this sweet and flavorful sheep’s milk cheese from Spain paired with shrimp on a crusty roll.
But wait, there’s more! Pair Wellspring Creamery Cranberry Orange Goat Cheese and in-season asparagus for Grilled Goat Cheese, Asparagus and Prosciutto Sandwiches. We love incorporating the classic pairing of apples and cheddar into a sandwich with the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. In this, we use Grafton Reserve Cheddar for its extra-sharp flavor.
Gruyere cheese melts beautifully in this spin on a French café sandwich, Grilled Ham and Le Gruyère. Another great pairing for Taleggio is tomato and pesto.
Try it tonight with Grilled Taleggio Cheese Sandwiches accompanied by a bowl of vegetable soup. There you have it. Grilled cheese galore!
Can you think of any more ways to celebrate grilled cheese this month? I’d love to hear them.
And if you liked Cathy Strange’s suggestions, you can get more of them by following her on Twitter @WFMcheese.