When walking the produce section, do you scratch your head when faced with selecting a pineapple? How do you know when it’s ripe? How do you cut it? Where did it come from?
At Whole Foods Market, we have “pineapples with a purpose” that are a part of our Whole Trade® Guarantee. These pineapples set a sweeter standard for quality, environmental care and social responsibility. Hailing from Costa Rican farms known for delectable, juicy fruit, they’re grown with the health of the planet top of mind.
Our Whole Trade Guarantee ensures that farms pay equitable wages and provide better working conditions — and that you enjoy the best-quality tropical treat, delivered at peak ripeness. Now that you know we have these delicious pineapples, how do you choose one and what do you do with it when you get home?
Pick a perfect pineapple Repeat after me: external color does not indicate ripeness.
That’s right. Ripening halts after harvest, and ours are picked at their peak. So, even green pineapples are ripe. (Yes, green.) Instead, choose fresh-looking pineapples with green leaves and a firm shell. And when in doubt, ask a Team Member for a taste.
Store it smart Great care was taken in growing your pineapple, so treat it well at home too. A whole pineapple stored at room temperature should be eaten within a few days, but you can refrigerate it to keep longer. Freshly cut pineapple can be frozen, but it may lose some flavor. Slice it right Here are five simple steps to help you get past that spiky shell.
- Cut off the crown and bottom.
- Stand pineapple on cut base. Cut away the peel in strips, deep enough to remove the eyes.
- Cut pineapple in half lengthwise, then halve each half so you have four quarters.
- Cut out and discard the core from the center of each quarter.
- Cut into chunks and enjoy!
If you’re more of a visual learner, let Dan Marek, Healthy Eating specialist at our flagship store in Austin, show you how to pick and prepare a pineapple.
Now that you know how to pick, slice and store it, here are four fabulous ways to enjoy your perfect pineapple.
- Have time tonight but not tomorrow? Prepare Shrimp Tacos with Fresh Pineapple Salsa in advance; the flavors improve by sitting overnight.
- Mahi Mahi Pineapple Skewers make for a deliciously colorful combination.
- The sweet-tart twist to a classic recipe in Pineapple Cucumber Gazpacho could be just the thing for warm spring days.
- Break out of your boring breakfast routine with the sweet and tangy combo of pineapple and raspberries in this smoothie.
- The simple to make Spicy Chocolate-Dipped Pineapple with Sea Salt are sweet, salty and spicy dessert bites that are perfect for a party or just an evening with the family.
Did these dishes pique your appetite? There are plenty of pineapple recipes on our website. Have you tried our Whole Trade pineapples yet? What did you think?