- In my hands, hot, buttered, right off the cob!
- Summer Corn Chowder made with tomatoes, bacon, onion and poblano peppers.
- Summer Corn Salad with avocado, blue cheese and pine nuts.
Most people think of corn as a vegetable, but it’s really a grain. In fact, it’s a whole gain dating back to prehistoric times in Central America. The large leafy stalk produces “ears” of corn and the kernels are actually the seeds that are attached to the cob.
There are numerous varieties of corn. The field varieties are mainly used as feed for animals and humans eat the sweet varieties. Corn is popular all over the world; some popular international corn recipes include:
- Corn Arepas. These are South American corn cakes. Our gluten-free version is made with cumin and white corn.
- Mexican-Style Grilled Corn with chipotles in adobo sauce and queso fresco.
- Frascatelli Carbonara with Sweet Corn is a delicious Italian dish made with pancetta and Pecorino Romano.
- Kenyan Corn and Bean Stew is a staple of Kenya. It’s made with kidney beans and potatoes.
- Chilean Chicken Pie with Sweet Corn Crust is a casserole made with raisins, capers and spices, with a corn topping.
With corn, the possibilities are endless. Remember, leftovers can be used in appetizers, baked goods, salads and main dishes. Here are more ideas:
- Make Coconut Ginger Corn on the Cob or Corn on the Cob with Feta and Herbs, or throw corn on the cob on the grill for your next barbeque. Here’s a recipe for Grilled Corn with Chili Lime Butter.
- Add corn to leafy green, grain or pasta salads or make a corn salad with your favorite veggies and dressing. Here are a bunch of salad ideas:
- Make your favorite corn muffins; add corn kernels to the batter before baking.
- Add corn to tacos, burritos, tostadas and quesadillas, like this delicious Chicken, Corn and Roasted Pepper Quesadillas.
- Make Sweet Summer Corn and Avocado Relish. Try it over grilled steak.
- Add corn kernels to soups and stews.
- Try Creamed Corn (way better than the canned version!)
- A Seafood Boil with Corn and Tomatoes is the quintessential summer meal.
- This Corn Pudding and this Spicy Corn and Chicken Chili are great for an outdoor party, picnic or barbeque.
- Make corn cakes like these Fresh Corn and Zucchini Cakes.
- Add corn kernels to pita pocket sandwiches, or try this amazing Shrimp, Corn and Red Pepper Sandwiches recipe.
- On a hot summer day, make Sweet Corn Soup with Peaches.
Got a favorite corn recipe? Let me know.