At-Home Oil Treatment for Long Hair
Lavish your long hair with plant-derived oils such as jojoba, argan, lavender and rosemary.
Create Your Own Conditioning Hair Mask
For occasional deep conditioning, purchase a conditioning mask or make your own with oils from our body-care department.
- Rosemary oil
- 1/4 cup jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon argan oil
- 5 drops rosemary 100% essential oil
- 5 drops 365 Everyday Value® 100% Lavender Essential Oil
Start with dry hair. Brush scalp with a rubber bristle brush to exfoliate. Combine all ingredients in a clean glass or ceramic bowl. Apply with a comb to the driest parts of your hair, the middle and ends. Work the oils into the tips, and then apply the remainder to your scalp and massage. Next, arrange hair into a braid or bun and leave in for 15 minutes to overnight. (Be sure to protect your pillowcase.) Shampoo and style.
All of these ingredients go on your head, in your skin and down your drain into the environment! So we ban more than 100 of the worst ingredients commonly found in body care. Check out our body care standards.
6 Tips for Great-Looking Long Hair
What's the secret to great-looking lengths? To make a long story short, it's all about healthy hair. For smooth, vibrant, bouncy tresses, follow these simple care tips.
- Don't overdo shampoo. Concentrate on the roots, stay off of mid-length and ends, and choose sulfate-free products that won't strip your natural oils.
- Don't be a-frayed. Get regular trims to remove split ends and stop hair from fraying.
- Pump up the volume. If the weight of your long hair is bringing you down, combat flatness with a root volumizer.
- Check your condition(er). Look for products with shea butter and argan oil to penetrate and smooth the hair shaft.
- Go deep. Choose deep conditioning products or create your own Conditioning Hair Mask. Leave on 15 minutes to overnight (be sure to protect your pillow), then wash and style as usual.
- Get even. Finish your hair with a styling elixir or a few drops of argan oil for shine and smoothness. Use your hands to distribute product evenly through the middle and ends of the hair.
Healthy hair comes from the inside out. For the most lustrous locks, eat a healthy diet with nutrient-dense foods and supplement with vitamins as needed.
Long Hair from Day to Night
What's the secret to great-looking lengths? To make a long story short, it's all about healthy hair. For smooth,vibrant, bouncy tresses, follow these simple care tips.
Create volume and grip by using a blush brush to apply dry shampoo to your roots. Avoid the part and hairline.
Finger comb hair into a ponytail and secure. It's okay if the shape is a little messy.
Divide the secured ponytail into two sections.
Twist the two sections in the same direction until tight.
Take the two tightly twisted sections and twist together in the opposite direction.
Wrap the resulting single twist into a bun and secure with hairpins.
Gently mess up your bun by spreading it out or pulling strands out.
Apply hairspray if needed.
While many hair-care products include just a dash of plant-based ingredients to advertise on the label, ours feature beneficial levels of botanical ingredients for beautiful hair without artificial colors, harsh preservatives or fillers.
DIY Lavender Dry Shampoo
No time for a shower? Need a little lift? Perk up your hair with simple ingredients you can find on our shelves.
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (aka arrowroot starch or arrowroot flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 5 drops Aura Cacia Lavender Essential Oil
Combine the ingredients in a container with a lid. Replace lid and shake to mix. Next, dip a large, wide makeup brush into the mixture. Carefully shake off the excess and apply to your roots wherever you need volume and oil control. Use fingertips to massage dry shampoo into your hair. Finally, comb through or blow-dry from roots to ends. (As with all dry shampoos, absorption times may vary depending on hair color and type.)