Looking for a little guidance through this month of oh-so-many expectations? Try these 9 easy tweaks and enjoy better-for-you-food without overhauling your life.
1. House Rule: Always eat a green salad when you eat pizza.
Whether you add a bunch of prewashed spring mix to a bowl and call it a day or make a big, beautiful salad with lots of stuff in it, make it a must to get greens in any time you indulge in a pizza pie. Try these or browse all our salads.
2. Bake On. Add texture and flavor to baked goods with whole grain flours. Go wild with barley, whole wheat, spelt or quinoa flour.
New to these flours? Pick up just what you need from our bulk bins and give them a try in these recipes.
3. Smoothie Addition. A dash of oats in a morning smoothie boosts fiber and lasting satisfaction, like in this Blueberry Muffin Smoothie.
4. Simple Salsas Add mucho flavor, nada fat. Serve salsa over rice and beans, sweet potatoes, eggs, tofu or fish.
Pick up a jar of your favorite fiery topping for convenience’s sake or learn to make your own. It’s super easy -- just get chopping.
5. More is More! Healthify that soup or stew by adding shredded kale, cabbage or whole grains.
Here’s how Chef Derek bulks up Beef, Bean and Veggie Chili with a little bulgur wheat.
6. In the Green. Load up on frozen greens. Add to morning smoothies or boost nutrients in prepared soups or omelets.
7. Flavorful Steam-Fry. Juice up your wok by cooking with a splash of orange juice instead of oil. A bit of garlic and chile kicks in flavor!
Watch Chef Chad demonstrate this technique, and then try it in these recipes.
8. Healthy = Tasty! Season food with dry or fresh herbs, spices, flavored vinegar or a squeeze of fresh citrus.
9. Put Some Beans On It. Keep canned or cooked beans handy and add to meals for extra flavor and fiber.
Just throw some on a salad or as an addition to canned soup or take a look at how Chef Chad uses beans three ways.
So tell us, what’s your favorite way to sneak a little extra oomph into meals?