Love seafood but fear going overboard on spending? It’s time to turn the tide! For smooth sailing in the kitchen, the current issue of The Whole Deal value guide has budget-friendly recipes, Sure Deals, more than $56 in coupons, a daily meal planner and money-saving tips – including a boatload of simple seafood ideas!
3 Money-Saving Tips for Seafood
Here are three of our top tips for hooking a deal.
- Put overspending on ice. Choose our vacuum-packed frozen white fish, swordfish, salmon and more – pre-marinated, seasoned, unseasoned or stuffed. Look for Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)–certified choices too!
- Ask your fishmonger. Buy just half a fish or only the portion you need and we will fillet or debone, if you want to save time, too.
- Party of one? For simple savings and multi-meal solutions, reach for value packs of skinless farmed salmon fillets, frozen in individual portions.
Catch of The Day
- 365 Everyday Value®Wild Albacore Tuna Packed In Water for $1.99 or less
Original or No Salt Added. 5 oz.
Our responsibly caught, reasonably priced canned wild albacore tuna is made with fish caught by smaller-scale, pole- and troll-fishing vessels (read: minimal bycatch and supports family businesses). It’s dolphin safe too. For a satisfying lunch or dinner, try it in this Tuscan Tuna Salad.
- 365 Everyday Value®Lightly Breaded Fish Bites for only $3.99
Our bites are made from minced MSC-certified wild-caught Pollock. A good source of protein, these frozen bites are big on convenience and taste. Try them in fish tacos or pair with a dip.
- Whole Catch™ Breaded Shrimp – $1.00 off
8 oz. to 10 oz.
Made with responsibly farmed shrimp, they’re in our frozen seafood case and ready in minutes for entrées or hors d’oeuvres. And no synthetic preservatives allowed! Choose from Tempura, Coconut, Buffalo or Popcorn. (Download the coupon.)
Simple Ideas to Float Your Boat
Now that you’ve saved at the store, navigate with time-saving strategies in the kitchen. We’ve singled out six of our favorite seafood picks here, but be sure to check out all 30 simple seafood ideas.
- MSC-Certified Sustainable Cape Capensis Whitefish. Creamy and comforting, this gluten free, wheat free Stovetop Gluten-Free Seafood Pot Pie is elegant enough for brunch guests, it also makes a simple family supper alongside green salad.
- Vacuum-Packed Salmon Fillets. Grill salmon fillets and serve over a baby arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette.
- 365 Everyday Value® Wild Albacore Tuna. Make lettuce wraps with tuna, shredded carrots and cabbage, a dash of rice vinegar and toasted peanuts. Serve with soy ginger sauce.
- MSC-Certified Sustainable Pacific Cod. This Carrot and Horseradish Roasted Cod with Red Potatoes and Lemons is company-worthy, yet easy to prepare. Fresh horseradish and grated carrots make a savory topping for sustainably sourced Pacific cod.
- 365 Everyday Value® Lightly Breaded Fish Bites. Serve atop a Caesar salad made with crisp romaine.
- Whole Catch® Breaded Shrimp. Popcorn Shrimp Po' Boy with mayonnaise, shredded lettuce and carrots and pickles on a roll.
When cooking fish, bear in mind this ancient mariner’s tip: bake, broil, roast or panfry fish about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
Got any cost-effective fish stories or simple prep methods to share? Tell us in the comments below.