Strawberries are loved the world over. On a trip to France, I happened upon some wild strawberries while strolling in a small southwestern village called Mortagne-sur-Gironde. I have never eaten anything as luscious and sweet! We ate them on the spot and also served them in a green salad for dinner, much like this Spinach and Strawberry Salad. Yum!
Strawberries are at their peak in the spring, particularly in May and June. Be sure to purchase firm red berries with no soft or mushy spots. Store in the refrigerator, but keep them dry. Don’t wash until ready to eat, and if possible, for fragrance and greater flavor, serve at room temperature.
Strawberries are wonderful in fruit salads, cereals, and smoothies, but that’s just the beginning. They add charm, flavor and good nutrition to everything from breakfast to main dishes, salads and desserts. Try these sensational ideas:
Breakfast, Beverages and Smoothies
- Strawberry Lassi
- Double Chocolate Pancakes with Strawberries on Top
- Pineapple Breakfast Sandwich with Strawberries
- Strawberry Milk Shake with Caramel Swirl
- Strawberry Watermelon Coolers
- Lambrusco Coolers
- Add to muffins or serve over pancakes, waffles or this Almond French Toast.
- Add to fruit salad, top with granola, nuts or seeds, yogurt or unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Serve with hot or cold cereals.
Sandwiches, Salads and Main Dishes
- Cucumber Sandwiches with Strawberries and Watercress
- Spring Salad with Strawberries and Creamy Orange-Avocado Dressing
- Make fruit salsa and serve over your choice of protein, like this Baked Salmon with Spinach and Strawberry Salsa.
- Add to leafy green and whole grain salad. Try strawberries added to Lemon Couscous Salad or tabouli, like this Tuna Tabouli.
- Make a sandwich of cream cheese and strawberries. For variety and good nutrition, add some baby spinach or kale leaves.
- Serve pork chops with a side of mixed strawberries and pineapple.
- Make a salad with corn, strawberries, red onion and celery. Toss with lightly sweet vinaigrette.
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Red Wine Strawberries and Cream
- Organic Strawberries and Cream Cookies
- Strawberries and Ice Cream with Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- Sweet Strawberry Risotto
- Traditional Strawberry Shortcake
- Berry Dessert Soup
- Strawberry Shortcakes with Maple Syrup and Frozen Yogurt
- Make Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream or simply add to ice cream, non-dairy frozen dessert, or Coconut Milk Ice Cream.
- Serve strawberries topped with granola, whipped cream, non-dairy whipped topping, or favorite frozen dairy or non-dairy “ice cream”, or make this Simple Berry Crisp.
- Make this gorgeous Strawberry Cake for your family or dinner guests.
- Grilled Bananas with Sweet Toppings
- Frozen Fruit Kabobs
- Use strawberries as “dippers” for chocolate sauce, sweetened whipped cream cheese, or Cream Cheese and Cashew Dip.
- Berry and Pudding Parfaits
- Several Sins Chocolate Cake with Red Wine and Berries
- Make Strawberry Rhubarb Topping for cakes, pound cake, quick breads, cheesecake or ice cream.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy strawberries? I’d love to know.