Mother’s Day is a few days away, and there’s still plenty of time to put together a plan for a sweet brunch honoring your Mom. A couple of general tips for making Mother’s Day brunch a great one:
- Let Mom sleep in! Get your brunch plan organized on Saturday so that you have everything you need ahead of time and won’t need to disturb Mom's Sunday morning. If you’re thinking of the breakfast-in-bed route, figure out what kind of trays and other special accessories you might need. (Mom may keep these in a special place so you may need to ask her before you can have it all ready to go on Sunday morning.
- Think about the setting. Whether you’re making Mom a tray for breakfast in bed or eating at the family table, make it special! Wonderful additions to the meal might include cut flowers in a small vase, a potted plant and a homemade mother’s day card.
- Remember to clean up! Let Mom relax post-brunch while the rest of the family takes care of the dirty dishes.
- Are you a pancake family? Serve up a stack of Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancakes with fresh berry salad and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Enlist the kids to help make these pretty Breakfast Parfaits layering yogurt, fresh fruit and crumbled cereal bars or granola.
- Goat Cheese and Zucchini Frittata comes together in a flash, with no advanced prep required. Serve with fruit salad and muffins or toast.
- Assemble Portobello and Asparagus Strata the night before. Then on Mother’s Day morning, put together a green salad and fruit salad while the strata bakes.
- Make this simple (no crust!) Broccoli Quiche. Serve with green salad, fruit and muffins.
- Bake Mom a healthier coffee cake—try Blueberry Coffee Cake. This is an especially wonderful treat served alongside eggs cooked your family’s favorite way.
- Create a waffle bar! Make your own waffles or pick up some frozen ones. Set out bowls of berries, pure maple syrup or honey, and a spreadable or spoonable cheese, such as softened Neufchatel, ricotta or yogurt. Let everyone create their own perfect waffles. Check out our Berry Waffle Sandwiches or Waffles with Orange Cream Yogurt Dip. Remember, the guest of honor makes her waffle first!
- Set up a breakfast taco stand in your kitchen! Scramble some eggs, cook some breakfast sausage or bacon, fry some potatoes (or reheat frozen potatoes), serve a few different salsas, warm up a stack of tortillas and let everyone assemble a taco packed with their own favorite fillings. Serve with fruit salad.
- Take smoothie orders. Family members get to play the chefs here. Get your mise en place (kitchen set up) ready with frozen fruits and berries, milk, yogurt, nut butters and more. Let mom place an order for her favorite combo. Whip it up and serve in a pretty glass. Then take orders for everyone else’s smoothies. Here are 11 smoothie recipe ideas to help you get started.
- Set out an oatmeal bar! Make a big pot of oatmeal, either rolled oats or steel-cut. Set out bowls of fresh chopped fruit, dried fruit, chopped nuts, coconut shreds, honey, milk or yogurt, and more. Let everyone create a unique oatmeal masterpiece.