With cookout season around the corner it’s time to start rounding up great recipes for summer get-togethers. What hot dog and burger cookout is complete without baked beans? It’s easy enough to heat a few cans of prepared baked beans — and there are plenty of great canned options in our aisles that meet our exacting quality standards — but have you ever made baked beans from scratch? We think our version of Classic Baked Beans is pretty awesome! It’s not a very complicated dish and you can choose to cook your beans or simply use canned white beans. Here’s what we think are the keys to great baked beans:
- Building blocks of flavor: bacon (optional) and onion
- Something sweet: brown sugar and molasses
- Something tangy: apple cider vinegar
- Something complex: chili powder, dry mustard, tomato paste
- Great beans: Navy beans or Great Northerns are the classic choice for baked beans, but you could try other white beans or any bean for that matter.