We all know them well—sugar, butter, milk, flour—some of the baking basics. But what if you live a vegan lifestyle? What if you’re gluten intolerant? What if you’re allergic to dairy? What if you want organic? What if you just want to change it up a little?!?
If you’ve been asking yourself these questions, then take a look at some of these unique baking basics and not-so-basics:
Earth Balance Natural Spreads
Want to win a year’s supply of Earth Balance products and a $400 Whole Foods Market gift card? Then enter your original recipe in the Earth Balance Holiday Bake-Off. Visit Earth Balance’s Made Just Right website for contest details.
365 Everyday Value® Organic Vanilla Extract
- Natural buttery spreads free of trans fats,hydrogenated oils and artificial ingredients
- Vegan and organic options
- Severalvarieties to suit all your cooking and baking needs:Whipped Buttery Spread, Buttery Sticks, Soy Garden Spread, Shortening, Soy-Free Buttery Spread and Original Buttery Spread
365 Everyday Value® Chocolate Chips and Chunks
- From vanilla beans grown without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides
- Extracted at the coolest temperature possible
- Add smooth, rich vanilla flavor to your holiday baked goods
SunSpire Chocolates Organic Fair Trade Baking Bars
- A high-quality baking staple available at an everyday low price
- Made with the good stuff - cocoa liquor, sugar,cocoa butter, vanilla andsoy lecithin (which is anemulsifier)- no cheap ingredients like vegetable or milk fat and vanillin.
- Vegan and organic options
- Several varieties with cacao content that packs a punch: White Chocolate Chunks (24% cacao), Semi-Sweet Vegan Chocolate Chips (41% cacao), Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (45% cacao), Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips Semi-Sweet (49% cacao) and Dark Chocolate Mini Chunks (70% cacao!)
King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Baking Mixes
- Made with organic, Fair Trade cocoa from a few select Central American growers
- A delicate balance of high cocoa content with cocoa butter for an intensely rich chocolate flavor and a silky smooth melted texture
- No hydrogenated oils and no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
Simply Organic Gluten-Free Baking Mixes
- Gluten-free status, third-party certified by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization
- Produced in a dedicated facility guaranteed free of the “top eight” food allergens: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy and wheat
- Lots of gluten-free mixes to choose from: Multi-purpose Flour, Bread, Pizza Crust, Pancake, Muffin, Chocolate Cake, Brownie and Cookie
Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Crystals, Nectar and Flour
- A perfect addition to a gluten-free, organic diet plus they’re vegetarian and certified kosher
- Free of hydrolyzed vegetable protein, modified food starch and hydrogenated oils
- A stellar line-up of very tasty mixes anyone would love, gluten-free lifestyle or not: Pancake and Waffle, Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Chai Spice Scone, Cocoa Biscotti, Cocoa Brownie and Cocoa Cayenne Cupcake.
- Crystals and nectar are low-glycemic sweeteners made from the “sap” of coconut blossoms
- Coconut flour contains 40% dietary fiber and is gluten-free, unbleached and unrefined
- Minimally processed at low temperatures to ensure a raw product
- Use crystals and nectar as sugar alternatives in your favorite desserts
- Flour can be used for baking, to thicken gravy or as a boost to smoothies
Organic Adriatic Fig Spread
- A time-saving alternative for a classic holiday nut
- For a twist try deliciously nutty, crunchy and mildly sweet chestnuts in your dessert recipes, like this Pumpkin Streusel Bread
- Several varieties available, including Whole, Pureed and Natural Vanilla Flavor
- The concentrated flavor of Adriatic figs captured in these outrageously rich preserves
- Made with handpicked figs from Croatia, which are sun-dried then cooked to preserve flavor
- Only available at Whole Foods Market®, this artisan spread is perfect for enjoying with cheese and crackers, in baked tarts or as a pastry filling. Try it as an unexpected filling in our Thumbprint Cookies this holiday.
What unique baking product is a staple on your shelf?