Supporting the health of an infant can sometimes feel like a guessing game with a limited amount of safe options. Find out why homeopathic remedies are gentle and easy to use for a variety of baby-related issues. Dr. Trevor Holly Cates is a naturopathic physician practicing in Park City, Utah, and a consultant for Hyland’s.
Naturopathic physician Dr. Trevor Holly Cates uses homeopathy to support children’s health:
- Homeopathic remedies are therapeutically active micro-dose medicines mostly derived from plant and mineral sources.
- These all-natural remedies provide a gentle and effective way of enhancing a person’s immune system and improving symptoms.
- Homeopathy has been used for over 200 years and works as a catalyst to help our bodies act to their fullest abilities.
Homeopathic remedies are regulated and can be used in the earliest stages of life:
- Most homeopathic medicines are regulated by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) as over-the-counter drugs.
- Manufacturers have to adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices and market their products with similar guidelines as all over-the-counter medicines.
- Homeopathic manufacturers rely on the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States to create monographs, or guidelines, for specific active ingredient preparation and strengths.
- Homeopathic products often have different instructions on the labels for children ages 2 to 12, which is usually half the adult dosage. Dr. Cates recommends less frequent dosing for children and babies than adults.
Remedies are easy to use and can be helpful for tough issues like ears, teething, colic and sleep:
- The top homeopathic remedy for teething is Chamomilla. It is also a great remedy for colic when the child is irritated and seems inconsolable. Colocynthis can also be helpful when babies draw up their legs in pain and like their abdomens massaged.
- For ears, Belladonna is a top choice especially when there is a sudden onset with fever and flushed face, but also consider Pulsatilla when the child has had a cold and the pain is worse at night.
- For sleep, it depends on the reason. Aconitum works well when there is anxiety and restlessness, and Pulsatilla can help weepy, moody children.
- Single homeopathic remedies or combination formulas are found in readily dissolvable tablets placed in the baby’s mouth or as easy-to-use liquids, and are also available in gels for teething and drops for ears.