With the warm days of summer comes one of the more versatile veggies: summer squash. Zucchini and yellow squash (sometimes called crookneck) are the most well known varieties, but summer squash also encompasses yellow zucchini and patty pan squash among many others. From raw to grilled, there are numerous ways to enjoy summer squash, and the best part is that their mild taste makes a wonderful partner to a variety of flavors and ingredients. Choose squash with bright colored skins and few bruises. Squash should be stored in your crisper and rinsed just before using. You’ll almost never have to peel them and they can sneak into some of your favorite meals to add a boost of nutrients. Take a look at these recipe ideas and see what you might like to try this summer.
- Using a vegetable peeler, make long ribbons of summer squash and toss with salt and pepper for a quick raw salad. Add shaved Parmesan if you like. Try our Raw Vegetable “Pasta” recipe.
- Stir fry! Cut squash into thin half-moons and stir-fry with garlic. Serve with grilled chicken or fish.
- Summer squash are the perfect vegetable for grilling. Cut into 1-inch chunks and skewer, or slice lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick and brush lightly with olive oil then grill until tender. We’ll be grilling these two all summer long: Grilled Zucchini with Kalamata Vinaigrette and Grilled Veggie Kabobs.
- Add grilled squash to sandwiches (they’re great on paninis), salads (pasta, green or bean), and whole grain favorites.
- Make a frittata or an omelet and load it up with summer veggies, including chopped zucchini and yellow squash, tomatoes and peppers. Add a little shredded cheese and chopped fresh herbs. Enjoy for brunch or dinner with a green salad!
- Add crunch to a dish of baked summer squash by topping with a mixture of toasted panko breadcrumbs, lemon zest, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Sprinkle on during the last 5 minutes in the oven.
- Sneak shredded zucchini into baked goods for extra nutrients and moist results. Here are two of our favorites, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes With Orange-Cream Frosting and Zucchini Bread.
- Make a Greek-style veggie pizza topped with zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, red onions, olives, feta cheese and oregano.
- Gather up the summer bounty and make this flavorful Summer Harvest Ratatouille, a French classic that’s a fantastic side dish for any meat or fish.
- Add color and flavor to your favorite pasta dishes with chopped or grated zucchini or yellow squash. Fusilli with Roasted Tomatoes and “Hidden” Zucchini is a crowd pleaser.