It’s summertime and the livin’ should be easy. Make the most of every summer day by spending less time in the kitchen, cooking outdoors more often, or not cooking at all! Try these everyday solutions to make summer all that you want it to be.
Keep It Easy
Take a laid-back approach to meal planning. Simply pick what’s in season (and on sale) then build a meal around it. Top summer faves:
Live for the Grill
Get creative! Go beyond the norm and try these interesting grillables:
- Fruit Salad – Brush halved and pitted peaches, nectarines and plums with olive oil and grill, cut into chunks and toss with fresh orange juice and zest.
- Quesadillas – Layer your favorite fixin’s between two tortillas, lightly oil on top and bottom and grill until melted and golden brown; dollop with guacamole.
- Bread – Grill thick slices of ciabatta or sourdough, drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and red pepper flakes.
- Avocados – Brush peeled and pitted avocado halves with oil, grill over high heat until just charred, and top with chopped tomatoes and fresh lime juice.
- Pineapple – Brush slices or rings with maple syrup and grill for a side dish or dessert.
Lighten Up When You Light the Grill
- Add veggie burgers to your summer grilling repertoire. Make your own or stock up on frozen veggie burgers and you’ll always be ready!
- Slice eggplant into rounds, season with your favorite homemade or bottled marinade and grill until just tender. Try this recipe for Grilled Eggplant with Cilantro Salsa Verde.
- Grill portobello mushroom caps for a hearty meal. They’ll soak up flavorful sauces or dressings. Also, great for burgers such as Portobello and Pineapple Teriyaki Veggie Burgers.
- Make grilled pizzas with homemade or premade pizza crusts, flatbreads or tortillas, quick-melting cheeses and seasonal produce.
No Time to Cook? Then Don’t!
- Raw summer fruits and veggies are packed with seasonal flavor, no cooking required.
- Browse our Prepared Foods area for chef-inspired, ready-made entrées featuring summer favorites, such as salmon, chicken and seasonal veggie dishes.
- Summer salads are easy and so fresh! Make your own by tossing salad greens with raw corn kernels, diced summer squash, sunflower seeds, sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries and crumbled goat cheese.
- Picnic at Home — Grab fresh, ready-made salads, slaws, loaves of bread, olives and cheese. Set the patio table, spread a blanket on the lawn, or meet up in the kids’ tree house to dine!
So what are some of your summer solutions to simple meals?