Don’t let soreness, strains and pain get in the way of your adventures! Support healthy muscles and joints with homeopathic, herbal and lifestyle recommendations for an active summer. Dr. Tiffany Binder is a Naturopathic Physician with expertise in nutrition and supplements.
- Arnica is a flowering plant with therapeutic benefits.
- It is most often found in homeopathic medicines and can be taken orally in pellets under the tongue, or used topically in gels, creams, and lotions.
- Arnica is helpful for muscle soreness, sprains, strains, bruises and other sports injuries.
- Chondroitin Sulfate is actually a constituent of cartilage, while glucosamine is a building block of cartilage.
- MSM ((Methylsulfonylmethane) is a naturally occurring sulfur compound that supports healthy joint function.
- Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM are often taken in combination formulas.
- Ginger, turmeric, holy basil, green tea, and rosemary all promote a healthy inflammation response.
- The benefits from these herbs are found when the herbs are taken in therapeutic doses.
- Increase water intake.
- Eat fresh whole foods and limit processed snacks, fast food, sugar and trans fats.
- Stretch daily (before and after workouts).
- Take a multi-vitamin and EFAs for optimal joint and tissue health.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Remember the advantages of walking – it doesn’t have to be an hour of intense activity to see health benefits.