There’s just something about corn that screams summer. It’s the kind of food you eat outside, with your hands, preferably barefoot. While we have grown accustomed to having corn available year round, fresh locally grown corn is truly a treat. Enjoy it steamed, boiled, grilled or roasted, or just slice raw kernels from the cob. Remember that fresh corn is best as fresh as you can get it, so don’t store it in the fridge too long. You should also wait to shuck it until just before you’re cooking. To cut fresh kernels from the cob, hold the cob vertically in a large bowl and carefully run your knife down the sides, slicing off the kernels and letting them fall into the bowl. Here are some of our favorite ideas and combinations for adding corn to your summer cookbook.
- Grill it. To grill corn on the cob, pull the husks back and remove the silks, then re-wrap with the husks and cook over a medium-low fire until tender.
- Have fun making your own flavored butters (for grilled or boiled corn on the cob) with herbs like chives, basil or tarragon, or citrus butter with fresh lemon or lime zest or even a smoky butter with just a touch of chipotle peppers in adobo.
- Add corn to the batter of your favorite cornbread or corn muffin recipes – in most cases you can simply substitute fresh corn where a recipe might call for frozen.
- Make a colorful salad of grilled corn with green beans and tomatoes.
- Stir fresh corn kernels into picnic favorites like coleslaw and potato salad.
- Spice up your Sunday brunch with Crab Cakes with Fresh Corn and Spicy Mayo. Serve with a green salad and if you’re up for it a fizzy mimosa!
- Stuff large heirloom tomatoes with a sauté of chopped bacon, corn and diced zucchini.
- Try something new and make our recipe for Fresh Corn and Zucchini Cakes. Serve them alongside simple grilled foods.
- Make a quinoa salad with corn, chopped red bell pepper, black beans, diced avocado and lemon juice.
- Try a summer-time risotto with corn, chives and shrimp. Add a pinch of saffron to your broth for a burst of color and flavor.