10 Great Sandwiches from the Grill
Any way you slice it, summer is made for sandwiches. Using the grill not only adds interest and flavor to sandwich making but also avoids heating up the kitchen. The key to keeping sandwiches affordable while still enjoying the ingredients that can put them over the top — tastewise and budgetwise — is to use those ingredients as accents, piling on more wallet-friendly, complementary flavors. Leftovers are a great place to start!
In the latest issue of The Whole Deal
, we feature 10 great sandwiches from the grill that will make you and your wallet happy:
- Wild Wrap – a small portion of grilled wild salmon, flaked and tossed with minced red onion, pickle and hard-boiled egg; rolled into flatbread with cream cheese and leaf lettuce.
- The Beef – a thin slice of grilled grass-fed beef rib eye on grill-toasted sourdough with Gouda cheese, onion and lots of arugula.
- Pizza Panini – slices of Ciabatta bread spread with pizza sauce, layered with a little pepperoni, a slice of part-skim mozzarella and lots of grilled veggies; pressed on the grill using a large spatula and applying pressure on each side until cheese is fully melted.
- Mexi-Melt – a few thin slices of grilled flank steak or chicken on flour tortillas with refried black beans, a little jack cheese and grilled onions and peppers (hot or not); warmed on the grill.
- Shrimp Roll – a few grilled shrimp, chopped and tossed with lightly mashed garbanzos, green onions, mayo, lemon juice and dried dill served in a soft roll or bun with shredded lettuce.
- Veggie Heaven – our Homemade Black Bean Burgers recipe is a customer favorite. After making the bean burgers, serve with grilled buns.
- Barbecue Bird – a few pieces of smoky grilled chicken tossed with barbecue sauce and piled with loads of tangy coleslaw on a brioche roll or burger bun.
- Caprese – sliced tomato, fresh basil and a few slices of fresh mozzarella cheese on slices of grill-toasted sprouted whole grain bread rubbed with fresh garlic.
- Pesto Portobello – grilled balsamic-marinated portobello mushroom on grill-toasted whole wheat bread with roasted red pepper slices and pesto.
- Ballpark Brat – our Sausage on a Bun with Pickle Pepper Relish at only $2.61 each. Click here for The Whole Deal online coupon for The Original Brat Hans Sausage.
Give these summer sandwich grill-ables a try and enjoy the savings! Download coupons
, enjoy more fresh food ideas and get additional budget-friendly grilling
tips online or pick up the summer issue of The Whole Deal
at your local store!
Now it’s your turn. What are your summer grilled sandwich favorites?