One thing I’ve noticed is that most of my homemade summer meals have a few things in common. They’re unfussy. They pair well with a tall glass of iced tea. And most importantly, they’re not too heavy so that if I’m invited to go swimming, I’m ready to go at a moment’s notice!
More specifically, I’ve been turning to chicken pretty often as my go-to protein this summer. Chicken is light and tasty and I know I can find great vegetarian-fed organic chicken without antibiotics in our stores. Since August is prime heirloom tomato time
and our stores are also featuring organic chicken this weekend, I started thinking of the delicious meal possibilities in combining the two.
Here are some mouthwatering ways to combine organic chicken and heirloom tomatoes for meals that are sublime in the summertime! (Not all of these recipes specify using organic chicken or heirloom tomatoes, but since heirlooms are only around for a limited time, I highly recommend celebrating these flavors to the fullest!
- Stuff a whole organic heirloom tomato with chicken salad for great presentation and flavor.
- Toss together a refreshing and light Chicken Orzo Salad with tangy zip from lemon juice and Kalamata olives or turn leftover pasta salad into a meal by adding chicken, diced tomatoes, olives and artichoke hearts.
- Make quesadillas with grilled chicken and your favorite melting cheese. Top with a quick salsa of heirloom tomatoes, white onion, cilantro and serrano chile peppers.
- Top blue corn chips with pepper jack cheese, pulled chicken, pickled jalapeños and diced tomatoes for tasty nachos.
- Bake chicken into a quiche and add sliced tomatoes just before putting in the oven. The unique shapes and colors of heirlooms make for pretty, lace-like patterns on top!
- Simmer chicken thighs or breasts in a fresh pan sauce of organic tomatoes, shallot, basil and cream.
- Toss diced chicken and tomatoes with hot angel hair pasta, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Top a pizza crust with sliced tomatoes, fontina cheese, roasted organic chicken and purple onions.
- Try a CLT sandwich (bacon optional)! Place pan-seared organic chicken breast, lettuce, and organic tomato on toast with a dab of mayo and black pepper.
- Take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level with shredded organic chicken, a slice of heirloom tomato and Le Gruyère cheese.
- For an easy, tasty lunch: combine leftover sliced organic chicken with salad greens, heirloom tomato, cucumbers and your favorite dressing or spread in a whole wheat wrap or pita.
- Transform a simple green salad with strips of grilled chicken, tomatoes, and homemade Dijon vinaigrette or try a warm vinaigrette with bacon and baby spinach like this recipe for Spring Spinach Salad with Chicken.
- Quick chicken "parmesan" — top baked organic chicken breasts with organic tomato slices and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, then broil until brown and crispy.
What are some of your favorite chicken and tomato dishes? Share your ideas with us so we can try making them with organic chicken and heirloom tomatoes!