Supporting the health of a child’s skin is an important consideration for every parent. From baby to teen, discover which ingredients are most beneficial and how to choose better body care for kids. Jessica Iclisoy is the founder of California Baby, a full line of natural skin care products for babies, kids and sensitive adults.
- Most conventional skin cleansers include ingredients that are harsh and stripping of the skin’s protective oils, leaving the skin dry and open to irritation. Reading labels is a must.
- Look for glucosides in shampoos, hand cleansers and bubble baths, which are very mild, non-stripping and extremely biodegradable natural cleansers.
- Babies and kids have different skin types and different needs than adults for their personal care products.
- Adults with sensitive skin and teens have a similar skin profile as babies in that they all need very gentle cleansers, non-irritating moisturizers and a natural mineral-based sunscreen. The entire family can share products formulated for baby.
- Start with a baby shampoo that can be left in the hair for a minute to clean away gel or styling products. A baby shampoo leaves the hair’s natural oils intact resulting in soft shiny hair.
- Diaper rash cream is classified as an over-the-counter-drug (OTC) and must be made in an FDA approved facility.
- Look for an ultra-purified (USP) grade lanolin to act as a water barrier vs mineral oil or fish oil.
- Talc-powder should be avoided because it is very light weight and can burrow deep into the lungs. Look instead for bases of moisture-absorbing clays and cornmeal.
- Choose non-chemical mineral-based sunscreens with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These are physical barriers that scatter and reflect the UV rays as opposed to absorbing them.