Spring is the season for saving lots of green. The latest issue of The Whole Deal value guide makes it easy, by sharing how to avoid spring spoilage and reap the spoils with these money-saving tips.
- Shop at home. Build shopping lists around what you already have in your pantry and fridge. With our iPhone recipes app you can find dishes that use what you have on hand. Then add the remaining ingredients to your mobile shopping list.
- First in, first out. Rotate items in your fridge and pantry so the oldest items are at the front. Put the new milk behind the open container; you’ll be more likely to use them one at a time before they expire.
- Counter, pantry or fridge? Did you know that storing tomatoes in the refrigerator can ruin their flavor and cause a mealy texture? Use our fruit and vegetable guides to learn proper produce storage. That way it'll be in mint condition and have maximum flavor for recipes, like our Quick Pizza Margherita.
- Stock up. Save food today. Save money tomorrow. Freeze leftover ingredients now for making stocks, soups, smoothies and baked goods later. This Vegetable Bean Soup is a great way to use up leftover ingredients.
- Hit the bar. Do you have a recipe that requires only a handful of jicama sticks or a few cherry tomatoes, like our Pasta Primavera? Shop our stores' salad bars when you need very small amounts of vegetables.
How to you prevent spoilage to stretch your dollar?