Explore the benefits of homeopathy for baby and how to help soothe issues such as colic, earaches and teething. Dr. Molly Punzo has integrated homeopathy into her practice for over 15 years, is a board member of the National Center for Homeopathy and a consultant for Hyland’s Homeopathy.
Homeopathy helps balance the body and can be beneficial both pre- and postnatal:
- Homeopathic medicines work in such a way that infinitesimally small amounts of natural substances are introduced into the body and stimulate the body to heal itself.
- By working with the body and not against it, homeopathy is gentle, rapid, and healing and can be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Homeopathy has been used all over the world for more than 250 years, has an impressive research base, and is growing in use because people are searching for more natural solutions.
According to Dr. Molly Punzo, homeopathic remedies to help with colic and sleep include:
- For colic, Chamomile prepared homeopathically in a small medicated globule or fast-dissolving tablet can be placed directly into the baby’s mouth, in their milk or a tiny amount of water.
- Calcarea Phosphorica can also be used to calm or Aconite is a remedy that is calming when the baby or child is extremely anxious.
- Confirm with your doctor that colic is what the baby has before self-treating and make sure to watch the baby after putting the homeopathic remedy in their mouth.
- Homeopathic medicines work within minutes and often the baby will start to relax and even fall asleep within a short period of time.
Single and combination homeopathic remedies can be beneficial for ears and teething:
- For earaches, Belladonna, Pulsatilla or Chamomile will work in the majority of situations.
- With teething and insomnia, Calcarea Phosphorica is a calming and soothing option that helps the baby to relax and fall off to sleep.
- Combination remedies have a wider variety of remedies within one formula and generally will contain one of the remedies that is the most suited to give relief.
Dr. Punzo recommends the following guidelines for new parents:
- The most important ways to keep children healthy are through diet, plenty of sleep, and a loving home environment with opportunities for learning.
- The first few years are truly the most important in developing self-esteem, healthy bodies and healthy minds.
Visit our Whole Body site to download this month’s featured Be Good to Your Whole Body pocket guide