Whole Trade® Guarantee is a Whole Foods Market® supplier certification program that makes it easy for you to shop with conscience. Learn firsthand how the W.S. Badger Company transitioned their products to fair trade and earned the Whole Trade partner seal. Rebecca Hamilton is Director of Product Development for the W.S. Badger Company and has a background in fair trade supply chains.
- Badger has a long-standing commitment to the ethical sourcing of ingredients.
- In 2006, Badger certified their first line of products to fair trade standards.
- Working with the Whole Trade Guarantee was one more logical step toward ensuring that every one of their ingredients is ethically sourced.
- Badger is an established organic brand, so as they move toward sourcing more and more fair trade ingredients, they still ensure that each ingredient meets the existing standards they have in place.
- When they cannot find a key ingredient that is both fair trade and organic, they work with their current supplier and with the fair trade certifiers towards getting the farm fair trade certified.
- They started with their core ingredients, which make up 70 to 90% of their products and approach their long-standing suppliers to first see if they are willing to undergo a fair trade or fair labor certification.
- For new ingredients, they search for currently certified fair trade and organic ingredients.
- Badger’s goal over the next two years is to have greater than 70% fair trade ingredients in every one of their products.
- Badger’s vision is to continue to source fair trade ingredients whenever possible, and to create the possibility for fair trade ingredients where they are not currently available.
- Whole Trade Guarantee has given Badger added inspiration in a partner that is as committed to fair trade as they are.