Apple Almond Gingerbread
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Fuji or Gala apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
To freeze, wrap the bread tightly in a layer or two of plastic wrap and then in a resealable plastic bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.