- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, halved lengthwise, then crosswise to make 4 squares
- 1 small Fuji, Braeburn or Gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 teaspoons honey mustard
- 4 large leaves green leaf lettuce
In a medium bowl, whisk together juice, oil, vinegar, tamari, honey, cumin and pepper, then pour the mixture over the tempeh and apples. Bake until most of the liquid is absorbed, tempeh is golden brown around the edges and apples are soft and caramelized, 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to let tempeh cool slightly.
Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon of honey mustard then top with a piece of lettuce and a piece of tempeh, with the baked apples arranged over the top.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.