- 2 1/2 pound tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups pitted cherries (either fresh or 1 (10-ounce) bag of frozen)
- 1 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
To make the topping, stir together oats, flours, sugar, nutmeg and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into flour and oat mixture until well combined. Spread the topping over the fruit, pressing down slightly.
Bake until the top is golden brown and the fruit is tender and bubbly, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.