- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 2 small zucchini or summer squash, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, oil, garlic, herbes de Provence, chile flakes and pepper in a small bowl. Put the bell peppers, onions and zucchini into a large bowl and pour the oil mixture over them. Pat eggplant dry with another paper towel and toss with vegetables, coating everything thoroughly. Spread vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast, stirring once or twice, until golden and very soft, 30 to 35 minutes.
Put tomatoes into a large bowl and break them up using your hands or a spoon. Add roasted vegetables and vinegar and stir well. Cool to room temperature before serving, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.