- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup forbidden (black) rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chopped pickled red peppers, for garnish
Stir in rice, bay leaf and garlic clove. Stir to coat rice with oil and lightly toast it, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook until rice is tender and liquid is mostly evaporated, 30 to 35 minutes.
When ready to serve, heat cannellini beans in a small saucepan. Reserve a few of the beans for garnish and add the rest to the warm rice, stirring gently to combine. Top rice with remaining white beans and reserved red and yellow bell peppers. Sprinkle with chopped pickled peppers and serve immediately.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.