- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound assorted wild mushrooms (such as stemmed shiitake, cremini, oyster), sliced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 (8-ounce) packages tempeh, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Canola oil
- 12 (6-inch) whole wheat or flavored tortillas
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
Preheat a grill for medium heat. Lightly brush 6 of the tortillas on one side with oil. Place tortillas, oil side down, on a large nonstick baking sheet. Divide mushroom mixture equally among the tortillas and top with cheese, distributing to equal thickness. Top with remaining 6 tortillas, and brush tops with oil.
Gently slide quesadillas onto the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until heated through and golden brown. Remove from the grill, set aside to let stand for 2 minutes, cut into wedges and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.