- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 3/4 cup grated Le Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (9-inch) frozen whole wheat pie crust, in pie pan
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add pepper, onion, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes; transfer to a large bowl. Return skillet to heat, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and spinach and cook, tossing often, until completely wilted and liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to bowl with onion and pepper and set aside to cool.
Add eggs, milk, 1/2 cup of the cheese, thyme and remaining salt and pepper to the bowl with onion mixture and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to pie crust, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake until deep golden brown and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Set aside to let cool until just warm then cut into slices and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.